Annual Giving Officer, Appeals and Special ProjectsCompany: University of Victoria
Date Posted: March 13, 2018
Join the growing Alumni & Development team at The University of Victoria as we expand to implement a five-year plan to grow our program from an average of $15 million per year to $25 million.
We are currently exploring new, exciting directions in Alumni & Development at UVic and have an immediate opening for an Annual Giving Officer - Appeals and Special Projects position supporting the Annual Giving team.
UVic has been chosen as one of BC’s top employers and one of Canada’s best diversity employers. Together we are more than 5,000 dedicated faculty, librarians and staff supporting the University of Victoria’s diverse academic programs, world-class research and commitment to civic engagement.
Development & Alumni Relations is the division of the university responsible for creating strong relationships and building philanthropic commitment between the University of Victoria and its alumni and friends, promoting the UVic Edge, which is a combination of dynamic learning, vital impact and an extraordinary academic environment that can’t be found anywhere else.
The Annual Giving Office conducts fundraising programs for the faculties and units, and directs university-wide appeals for gifts under $25,000. The Annual Giving team reaches out to alumni, donors, employees, and friends of the university to promote the scholarships, bursaries, and initiatives that support our current and future students, and better our community.
Working directly with the Manager, Annual Giving, Alumni and Annual Giving Officers, Development Officers, Deans, Directors, Department Chairs and other members of the fundraising team, the Officer develops and oversees the execution of direct mail and email campaigns that build and increase annual support of the University from all constituent groups. The Officer consults with Deans and Faculty-based fundraising staff to develop the most appropriate strategy, case for support, and multi-channel approach for appeals.
The Officer is responsible for assisting in the implementation of other Annual Giving fundraising projects, including annual giving days, monthly giving circles, class giving, parent giving and other duties as assigned.
The Annual Giving Officer, Appeals and Special Projects will also oversee the communication and marketing aspects of the Annual Giving Office in coordination with Alumni and Development Communications plans (i.e. Alumni Relations, Donor Relations).
In managing this portfolio, the Officer conducts external research into best practices for direct mail, e-solicitation and other methods of broad-spectrum appeals. The incumbent consults with local counterparts and leaders in this field, observes ethical fundraising practices, and performs thorough analysis to independently develop effective solicitation lists.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree plus three years of experience in a development, marketing, or communications position.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge requirements include:
- Knowledge and awareness of fundraising best practices and trends.
- Knowledge and awareness of direct mail, e-appeals, and peer-to-peer fundraising best practices and trends.
- Project management best practices.
- Social Media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest etc.) and how each platform can be optimally deployed in different scenarios for fundraising purposes.
In addition this position requires:
- Proven track record of success in developing and implementing multi-channel fundraising appeals.
- Experience writing successful and impactful fundraising appeals, case statements and promotional materials.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, organizational, and motivational skills are essential.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to juggle many projects at once.
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Proven track record achieving project goals on time and produce deliverables of a high quality.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population and with all levels of university personnel.
- A self-starter - creative team player who takes initiative and has the ability to work collegially with a broad spectrum of personalities.
Assets or Preferences:
- A strong working knowledge of the policies and procedures of the University, Development Office, Alumni Relations, Advancement Services, and the respective Faculties and Units
- University of Victoria alumni experience or background
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge
- Familiarity using Social Media to accomplish business objectives
To apply, please visit: https://uvic.mua.hrdepartment.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/3624